Meet The Team: Kaitlyn Brown, Design Systems Architect
August 26, 2022
Tell us a little about yourself, Kaitlyn!
Hi everyone! I was born and raised in St. John’s and my friends/family call me Kate!
A few things about little ol’ me:
- I have British roots (my dad is from England but unfortunately lost his accent while living here in NL), which may explain why I love a good cup of tea LOL.
- I have two brothers—one of them is my twin!
- After a cancelled flight and a very long road trip across Ontario and back (all in one day!), I’m a new dog mom to a 5-month-old Labrador Retriever. He’s foolish as a bag of nails and keeps me and my boyfriend on our toes.
- I have a shameless obsession with Christmas, which I probably get from my mother!
- If I got paid for every time I shopped at HomeSense or pinned something on Pinterest, I’d be a millionaire.
How did you first get into software development?
I have to admit, I haven’t always had an interest in coding—although I did spend A LOT of time customizing my Piczo website back in the day.
My first diploma was in Architectural Engineering Technology which I thought was a good fit because of my love for interior design. But I quickly came to realize it wasn’t for me. So after working in the industry for about a year, I quit.
I’d discovered I loved working with software like AutoCAD and Revit much better, so I went back to school for Computer Systems Engineering Technology. Fast forward to today: I’m a Design Systems Architect where I get to combine my love for design and coding in one!
Why did you first join CoLab? What’s the most exciting thing about working here?
Adam Keating and I grew up together, so I’ve been following CoLab’s success pretty closely! When I went back to school for computer systems, I reached out to Adam who connected me with Cheryl (one of the many amazing people I work with). I was working in a backend development position when CoLab posted an opening for a Full Stack Developer. I applied the second I saw it because I always knew I wanted to work here. I interviewed with Steph and Clinton and shortly after that got a job offer! I immediately called my boyfriend, and may or may not have shed some happy tears!
I’m most excited to see what the future holds for CoLab and the impact we’ll continue to have on the engineering world.
If you had to be shipwrecked on a deserted island, but all your human needs—such as food and water—were taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
My dog and my boyfriend Josh. I have no idea how to start a fire and he has much better survival skills than me LOL.